Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Email setup on phones
Setup Email on your Phone
Note: logging into email from off-campus will require two-step authentication. You must set that up when you first log into your email and you must use a web browser to handle this first step. View the FAQ on this topic in the Accounts & Email page.
- Open Settings, then scroll down and choose Passwords & Accounts.
- Click on "Add Account".
- Choose "Microsoft Exchange"
- Enter your Downstate email address (usually "firstname.lastname@example.org").
- Enter a brief description - for example, "Downstate" - to replace the one ("Exchange") that automatically appears. This description will appear in your list of email accounts.
- Click on "Next".
- Enter your password.
- Click on "Trust". (We use a self-signed security certificate.)
- It will take some time for the initial download of your email to your phone.
- After the account has logged in, go to Email in your settings to
- You must download the Outlook app from the Google Play store. The embedded Mail app will not work with your Downstate email account.
- Follow the similar steps listed above in the Apple setup.