It is recommended to use Respondus > Retrieval > Retrieve Questions to directly retrieve questions from a D2L Brightspace course into a Respondus file. However, issues with authentication into the LMS may, on occasion, interfere with the question retrieval.
You can export a single Brightspace quiz as a QTI XML file for import into Respondus through the IMS QTI personality. Once the QTI file has been imported into Respondus, you can change the current personality back to D2L Brightspace or another LMS personality for publishing.
- Log into your D2L Brightspace course
- In the Brightspace course, go to Course Tools > Course Admin > Import/Export/Copy Components
- Select Export as Brightspace Package and click Start
- In Select Components to Export select Quizzes > Select individual items to export followed by Continue
- In Select Quizzes to Export, expand the list, select only one quiz followed by Continue
- In Confirm Components to Export, click Export
- Download the zip file when notified in Update alerts in the top menu bar
- After downloading the file, unzip or extract the zip file into a folder.
- Start Respondus 4.0
- In Respondus > Start > Current Personality, select IMS QTI
- Go to Respondus > Start > Import Questions.
- In Import Questions > File Name: > Browse, select IMS QTI questions (.xml, .qti) in the lower left.
- Locate the folder containing the extracted files.
- Select the quiz_d2l_xxxxx.xml and complete the import process.
- Go back to Respondus > Start > Current Personality to change back to D2L Brightspace.
Note: Quizzes with sections or random sections along with questions banks may not export in the correct format for import into Respondus 4.0. The user may need to create a new blank quiz and copy the individual questions into the new quiz with no sections.