Skip to Main Content
IMPORTANT! How to Use Respondus Lockdown Browser has changed!
- The way to use the Respondus Lockdown Browser (LDB) has changed due to the switch to Brightspace learning management system.
- You do NOT open Respondus LDB first!
- Instead, use a regular web browser - Firefox, Chrome, Edge, etc - to log into Brightspace and click on the "Start Quiz" button.
- This will open Respondus LDB if it is installed on the computer that you are using.
What is Respondus Lockdown Browser?
- Lockdown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Brightspace, our learning management system, to prevent cheating.
- The Respondus Lockdown Browser (LDB) is already installed on Downstate computers used for computerized exams.
How does Lockdown Browser work?
- Video: See how Respondus Lockdown Browser works.
- Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
- An assessment cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
Where can I download Respondus Lockdown Browser?
- Students: download Respondus LDB from the link in the Student Orientation and Information course in Brightspace.
- Faculty: download Respondus LDB from a link in the Faculty Resources course in Brightspace.
- Both Faculty and Students can download the LDB from a link shown at the bottom of the Start Test page.
- A practice test and software download link is available for students to certify their home network/computer/camera/microphone.
- Faculty must request a computer lab from Classroom Services for students who are unable to successfully certify their home setup.
What is Respondus Monitor?
- Respondus Monitor allows students to take online exams from a remote location while ensuring the integrity of the exam process.
- Monitor records audio/video of the student during the exam, then runs a post-exam facial recognition analysis and flags areas of concern such as the student looking at something other than the screen.
- Students must have a working camera/microphone.