Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
About the Library
The Medical Research Library of Brooklyn is located on three floors of the Health Sciences Education Building (HSEB). The main floor on the first level is the Library Information Commons that provides 24/7 access to users. The Library Information Commons has a designated eating area as well as collaborative learning spaces and individual carrels for private study. The second floor is a designated silent study area and also caters to group study. The basement level houses the Advanced Learning Resource Center with individual carrels and classrooms.
Over the years, the Library has continued to evolve to meet new needs and provide very different services and resources beyond its original mandate. With the changes in how we interact and meet with one another, the Library will continue to adapt to assist faculty, staff and students in support of our academic mission.
The collection is a hybrid of print and electronic resources and supports the academic, clinical and research needs of a wide variety of health related programs.
The Library provides a safe environment for its users and the Staff is always willing to address your needs.
The Library's physical space is open with limited hours and space available for studying. However, almost all of our resources are available online.
- Databases - For our collection of online databases; including PUBMED, CINAHL and the Access suite, check out our information resources page.
- Journals and Textbooks - Our collections of electronic journals and textbooks are searchable and accessible through Primo, our online catalog.
- Evidence Based Practice Resources
Off Campus/Remote Access
When you click on a link for one of the Library's licensed resources, you will be asked for a user name and password. Your proxy server user name and password are the same as the ones you use to login to your campus email account (NETID). If you need assistance with your login credentials, contact IT email@example.com.
Our current collection is also accessible with appropriate authentication through Downstate's course management system. Signing in to Blackboard will also clear you to access the library resources during the session, bypassing proxy login.
Due to current circumstances, the physical space of our library is closed. We are still providing support to our students remotely.
- Reference Support - Librarians are available Mon-Fri from 9am to 5pm. Individual and group consultations may be arranged by appointment. You can contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- InterLibrary Loan (ILL) - Need a journal article or book chapter that the Library doesn't have? Request the item through interlibrary loan at no charge. To order items through the ILL service start here.
- Classroom Services - Schedule room space and audiovisual services.
- The Access Services Department manages, maintains, and ensures the availability of the library print collection. Responsibilities include the lending of materials, renewing of materials, lending of study rooms, safe distribution, patron registration, course reserve management, Interlibrary Loan (ILL)/Document Delivery, management of user accounts (billing, and collection of fines and fees), re-shelving monographs and journals, shelf maintenance and visitor access.
- The Archives and Special Collections Department holds historical materials which document the origins, achievements and accomplishments of the Health Science University which includes the College of Medicine, the School of Graduate Studies, the School of Public Health, the College of Nursing, the School of Health Professions (formerly College of Health Related Professions) and the University Hospital of Brooklyn (1950- ) as well as its predecessor institutions: The Long Island College Hospital (Collegiate Division) (1860-1930) and The Long Island College of Medicine (1930-1950). The Archives also holds materials which reflect the history of medicine, medical education and health care in the County of Kings from the early 1800s to the present. The Department has jurisdiction of all library materials prior to 1900; these materials are reflected in the library's online catalog as being held in the Archives. A published finding aid is available.
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)/Document Delivery Department ILL is a service offered to Downstate students, faculty and staff that provides electronic scans of articles and book chapters, monographs, and audiovisual materials that are not owned by The Medical Research Library of Brooklyn. Document Delivery is a service offered to Downstate students, faculty and staff that provide PDF versions of articles and electronic book chapters for items that are available in our collection.
- Library Resource Management Service department serves to support the SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University community by identifying, acquiring & processing of resources used to support the academic, clinical and research components of the institution. Management of library resources are done through the library management system thus making the electronic information discoverable and print materials locatable for patron use in a timely and effective manner.
Contact the Library
Need help finding or using Downstate Library resources?
We're here to help!
Email us: email@example.com or use our online form.
Librarians are available
Mon-Fri from 9am to 5pm